Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Rattlesnake Mountain Trail (RMT)

This past week I was looking for a new 15-20 miler to do since I've been getting a little bored running the same trails week-in and week-out. I know, what a complainer right? Anyway, I decided that I needed a new place in my bag of training locales so when I heard that the Mountains to Sound Greenway Trust, the non-profit steward of the I-90 greenscape, was going to be doing a ribbon-cutting ceremony for a new western trailhead at Snoqualmie Point (I-90 exit 27) -- for the significantly improved Rattlesnake Mountain Trail (RMT) -- I elected to try running the RMT again. I had run portions of the old RMT in the past (when map, compass and bushwhacking were practically a necessity), but I'd heard that the new RMT was a real improvement. And let me tell you, yes it is!

I skipped the ceremony and opted to get there way early for a long solo run. I'm glad that I did, because I was able to find parking (there are 50 parking spots) in an empty lot. I had the place to myself, which was good for me because I wasn't interested in battling a bunch of gawking hikers with kids and dogs while I climbed up to the ridge line. [Note: there is nothing wrong with hikers at all - I like to hike myself - but with a ribbon cutting ceremony I was expecting hordes of people wandering a few miles up the trail and then turning around and basically clogging the whole thing.] Thankfully, the trail has been dramatically improved. The first few miles are wider and there is clearly marked signage along the entire length, so the days of guessing 'which way do I go here?' are long gone. I love orienteering, but frankly, when you're going for a trail run, that's what you want to do - run.

If you're unfamiliar with the RMT, the new (and old) 10.5-mile point-to-point route follows the ridgeline of Rattlesnake Mountain, which rises above North Bend along the south side of I-90. The trail is soft and thickly forested, but does offer some very scenic views in several places toward Seattle, Mount Si, North Bend and the Snoqualmie River Valley. From Snoqualmie Point to the high point of 3,460 feet there is an elevation gain of approximately 2,480 feet. One of the highlights of the trail is the 2 mile descent (or ascent depending upon your direction) from Rattlesnake Ledge to Rattlesnake Lake with 1,100 feet of elevation gain. To start at Rattlesnake Lake, take I-90 exit 32 and drive south on Cedar Falls Road 3.5 miles to the trailhead. This is also the western terminus of the John Wayne Pioneer Trail and a connection to the Snoqualmie Valley Trail (SVT).

Back to the training run. As I climbed out of the trailhead and up to the ridge I passed through an interesting variety of flora. Parts of the trail made me think of the Oregon Coast, especially the thick salal and elderberry bushes which closely lined the path. After a climb of about 700 feetof elevation gain you cross the first of three old logging roads (leads to the radio tower). All the crossings are well-marked with turnstiles that prevent bikers and equestrians from using the trail. Soon you cross under the buzzing high-voltage power distribution lines. Just after the Stan's Overlook turnoff you encounter a soft single-track trail (well maintained) and enter an area that appears to have been hit hard with blown down in a big storm. Snags everywhere. A little beyond that you abruptly enter what I am now calling "the Dark Forest". I was immediately struck by how eerily quiet and dark it was. It was like someone had flipped off the light switch, forcing me to remove my sunglasses while trying to get my pupils to adjust to the very low light levels. I kind of stumbled along for a while until I could resolve some detail of my surroundings. I started talking to the trees, because for some reason it felt like a very ancient place. In my mind, I imagined that perhaps the trees were 'Ents' like in LOTR...but alas, no response came my way. Or maybe 'Elves' were watching me from unseen places. My oh my, what an active imagination I have!

After another 2 miles of climbing I came to an area where I had a hazy view of the Eastside and Seattle. As I stopped, I was immediately swarmed by handful of aggressive mosquitoes which must've been drafting along behind me from the quick-paced Dark Forest episode. No time to stand around so I snapped a couple of quick pics and moved on. After 4.2 miles and about 2,100 feet of elevation gain I came to the Grand Prospect, a nice mid-point with a vista of Mt Si and North Bend below. From this vantage point, I could faintly hear I-90 traffic far below but mostly it was birds happily chirping and wind rustling through the tree branches. Mt Si and Little Si and Mailbox Peak all looked magnificent. As I continued along the trail I ran through more of the Dark Forest along a rolling single-track trail seemingly carved into the side of the ridge. The forest is so thick that I wasn't able to see either below me or above me. Eventually, I came across a short spur of trail which leads to the operational microwave radio tower. It's kind of strange to see this big tower in the middle of the forest but, as is the case with modern technology, you just can't escape it no matter where you go. Thankfully, it is setback from the trail so unless you happened to look almost directly up at a very specific point you wouldn't see it at all.

The new trail takes some interesting detours here and there, crisscrossing some portions of the old RMT trail and logging roads and then reconnecting. Eventually, I came to the old radio tower site with the equipment hut and the decommissioned tower itself. Obviously some kids had been climbing it and playing around on it, leaving graffiti but thankfully no beer cans or trash. I stopped briefly to admire the view and then passed through on my way over to Rattlesnake Ledge. This stretch has some wonderful undulating terrain with flora that you usually see in bogs and swampy areas. As I approached Rattlesnake Ledge I began to encounter pairs of hikers with walking sticks and funny looks on their faces. The first two groups were older folks and were somewhat amazed that I had run from the Western end of the trail. They too remembered the twisted maze of trails that was the old RMT. One older gentleman had a map and compass while the others followed his lead. I told them how easy it was to route-find now and they all breathed a sigh of relief. I bet they had visions of an early-season bushwhack across the ridge with lots of challenges. While still a very challenging trail to hike or run, it's immeasurably easier now that the trail is completed and well maintained.

I soon arrived at Rattlesnake Ledge where a large number of people were sitting around on the rocky outcroppings admiring the easterly view of Rattlesnake Lake and the Cedar River Watershed. They had all hiked up the 2 miles from Rattlesnake Lake. I didn't stay long. After quickly soaking in the sights, eating a ProBar and taking a well deserved break I turned around and began my journey back to the car. The reverse route provided me with some amazing views and an opportunity to reflect on some of the tough things which have happened to me over the past year. It's a very good trail for contemplation, though you need to be mindful and tuned-in to the trail conditions otherwise you might find yourself tumbling down a steep ravine or gully. The footing can be treacherous in places with an abundance of roots seeming to be the main culprit. After a long and fast 4 mile descent I was approaching the Snoqualmie Point trailhead and began hearing voices and dogs barking. Soon I was sharing the last mile or so with a lot of people who had turned-up to experience the joys of the RMT firsthand. I'll definitely be back!

No comments: